I was recently looking back over some of my blog posts from over 8 years ago, and I was struck by how much my writing skills have developed over the years. The heart of the message has stayed pretty much the same, but my writing has certainly evolved substantially. I know the practice of writing regularly will have that effect. But I’ve also tried to be a good student of the craft of writing.
That’s why I always try to make sure I have a book or two on my Kindle focused on developing my writing skills and publishing knowledge. I’ve been learning a great deal recently about things like caring for the words we use, and deep POV. And it’s always a great help to read about the latest trends in publishing and other’s experiences with publishing platforms.
Because people are always asking me about what I’m reading, I thought I’d start publishing some lists of what’s on my radar. This list is the current top 5 from Amazon’s Hot New Releases list in the Writing Skills category. I’ve already grabbed a couple of them for my Kindle, and would love to hear your thoughts on any of these that you might pick up…
Amazon’s Hot New Releases in Writing Skills
- Start Writing Your Book Today: A Step-by-Step Plan to Write Your Nonfiction Book, From First Draft to Finished Manuscript by Morgan Gist MacDonald
- Powerful Premise: Writing the Irresistible by William Bernhardt
- Between You & Me: Confessions of a Comma Queen by Mary Norris
- Mastering Amazon and Kindle by Rob Parnell
- Character Depth: Keeping readers riveted with real characters, emotion and deep POV by Jordan McCollum